Saturday, April 30, 2011

Favorite Tv Characters: 4-1

Woo-hoo!! I've finally made it to the final four characters on my list! I had such a hard time trying to decide where to list each one, because they all could easily be number one - I love each four of them that much and I find all four of them just that great!


Favorite Tv Characters:

4. Dexter Morgan (Dexter)
 He's works as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department. He is also a serial killer. A serial killer with a Code. He only kills other killers. But dont think he's being noble or anything, Dexter is a complex person. He doesnt do it to right wrongs (though maybe its part of the reason) but he does it to satisfy his need and drive to kill. Dexter really does have a mental illness like ALL serial killers. It goes back to something traumatic that happened in his childhood. He is a dark character, that we should be disgusted by...yet, I root for him. I want to see him murder those other sick and twisted people that have slipped through the cracks of society. Maybe that says something about who I am as a person. Rooting for a murderer to murder another murderer. But truth be told, something about what he does is totally justifiable. Plus, he's a character that you cant help not to love. I give this credit to Michael C. Hall. I've read some of the books, and the character just isnt as likable in the books as on the show. Although the books are much more darker than the show too, but anyways.... He's a character that's extremely complex and well written. A character that will make you analyze your own psyche and that's so well portrayed by Michael C. Hall , that you cant help but to connect to him on a a certain level: A character that happens to be a serial killer. That is greatness.

3.  Spike (Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel)
 Where do I even start....There is nothing that I dont love about Spike. Even when he first came on the show as just another villain, there was something instantly special about him. Spike has a way to capture your attention, no matter if it's on a serious note or just him being all snarky, but when he starts talking, I listen. He draws me in and I hang on his every damn word lol! Maybe it's the British accent, I dunno :-P I just find him highly captivating, brilliantly funny, so very good at being bad, but when he's showing his love for Buffy..Oh My God!! There were moments when he choked me up and I'm a diehard Buffy/Angel fan! When Spike first shows up, he's unlike any soulless vampire. Yes, Angel feels and he's capable of love, but he has a soul. Spike showed feelings towards Buffy even without his. The only thing, the soulless vampire side of him out weighed the goodness, so he didnt always make the best choices when it came to how he showed his love towards Buffy, but atleast he tried and when he failed, (and knew he failed), he set out to change. Which is another difference between him and Angel. Spike chose a soul, Angel was cursed with a soul. But anyway, thats getting off topic and too deep and just so full of spoilers....What's best about Spike is his snark. Gotta love that dry humor and sarcastic attitude! Then there's the way he carries himself with swagger. He's apologetically "bad." Those characteristics never ever change about him. Which is what makes him greater than all those other vampires on tv right now. They are all just trying to replicate him.... Spike is the original bad boy vampire that you cant help but to love ;-)

2. Buffy Summers (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
 In every generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. She is the Slayer. - She if Buffy ;-) Buffy may be tough and she may be able to kick ass, but she didnt choose to be a Slayer, it was her destiny. Buffy just wanted to be able to live a normal life as any teenage girl, but she was forced to give up any real normalcy when she became a slayer. Yet, she tried her hardest to remain as normal as possible. I think that's what makes her character so likable. She had that charm about her and always kept an upbeat attitude while kicking ass, especially during the first few seasons. As she grew up and had to keep making more and more sacrifices, she did go through a bout of depression, but I think that's understandable with all the shit she went through: From dying, killing the love of her life, losing her mom, dying again....Uh yea, I think Buffy had a right to be depressed, but she never stopped fighting. She always picked herself up and always did what needed to be done in order to protect her friends and save the world...literally. I love everything about her: Her toughness, loyalty to friends, self-assured attitude, independent nature, her peppy attitude while slaying, and the ability to always look cute while kicking ass....I wish I was her lol! 

1. Xena (Xena: Warrior Princess/Hercules)
 In a time of ancient Gods, Warlords, and Kings... a land in turmoil cried out for a hero: She was Xena, a mighty princess forged in the heat of battle, the power....the passion...the danger....Her courage will change the world! - LOL Epically awesome title sequence. There was never any doubt that Xena would be number one when I first thought about this list. I've been a fan of hers for so long and she was the first character that I ever idolized and wanted to be. I was just a kid and I loved everything about her. Her fighting style, her ability to kick any mans ass, her battle cry...just everything! I also loved her backstory, I thought she had more depth to her than Hercules: She wasnt always good. She once was the leader of a Barbarian army that killed hundreds of people and destroyed villages, but thanks to Hercules, she changed her ways and started fighting for the greater good. Unlike Hercules though, she still had a willingness to kill in self defense, which made for some awesome sword fighting, but of course my favorite weapon was her chakram. Her most bad ass trait was her ability to use pressure points though...Yes, she had many skills indeed ;-)


*Whew* I have come to the end of my list! The final four characters gave me a tough time. I originally had Dexter at number two, because a while back I stated he was the greatest male character of all time (Btw, I copied and pasted what I typed back then and used it here cause I thought it was so good XD lol!). But after really thinking about it, I decided that I liked Buffy and Spike better. I'm already partial to kick ass female characters anyway, so it wasnt a leap to easily bump up Buffy. Although I almost decided to put Spike at number two, but like I said, partial to the female characters, so I ended up bumping Spike up to three and bumping Dexter down to number four! lol! (This list was easy as pie...no really! lol!) But it's like I said in the beginning, all  four of these are worthy of the number one spot, but ultimately there could only be one. A special nod to Michael C. Hall for being the only actor to appear twice on my list in two totally different roles: Dexter and David Fisher. Awesome awesome actor! 

Anyways, if you have been reading, hope you enjoyed my list!! =) 

Now I need an idea for a new one LOL...

4 comments:

  1. OK, I could not hold off any longer. I am lousy with waiting - you should see me at Christmas LOL

    I can honestly say, knowing you as I do, that I am not the least bit surprised by the four characters chosen here. The order with these four really is irrelevant, because I understand what they mean to you. I have never watched Dexter, so I cannot comment on that, and I think you already know my feelings about the other three.

    The funny thing about Spike - the longer he was around, the more Angel looked like a whiny bitch-boy. :-) I think that is why S-5 is my fav of Angel, truth be told - he really added a wonderful dynamic to that last season.

    I have to be honest with you; as much as I love Xena - and Lucy Lawless *whew* - I would have a hard time putting her above Callisto. I understand why you did, taking the entire show into consideration, but... well, I do love the bad girls. And there have been very few as 'bad' as Callisto. :)

    Awesome list all the way through, and a wonderful collection of characters. Thanks so much for sharing them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lmao...I was expecting you to comment tomorrow lol!!

    You know what, I almost had a moment of ...okay I'll just put them all at number as a TIE! But you are right, the order is irrelevant, because at the end of the day, I love them all dearly and I dont think any other show could come close to creating characters as great as those four ...well five.. because Callisto is just another one of those once in a lifetime great ones also.

    Lmao, you are so right about that! I was actually a taken aback by the way he acted when he found out Spike had a soul...and then didnt even tell anybody. I was like...Seriously, Jealous Much! But it was funny how Spike would call him out on it XD

    LOL I'll let you in on a little secret, when Callisto is actually on the show, I find it hard not to root for her LOL - I have my moments where I think she outshines Xena. And during the body switch, I think Callisto made a better Xena than Xena made a Callisto...(that didnt make a bit a sense)....so yea I can easily see how you would favor her =) But - Xena is the star of the show after all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, it made PERFECT sense. It was then when I noticed that Hudson Leick is a REALLY good actress - she nailed the Xena character perfectly, with all the quirks and nuances. No dis of Lawless - her role in Spartacus is mind-blowing - but Leick (and Callisto) was awesome...

    I have a feeling I'll have to do this one soon... but I doubt I can go 40-long. LOL Maybe a Top Ten... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even noticed just how much better of an actress Hudson was til I bought season two and re watched those episodes. Lucy did good, but something felt kinda off with the performance...Hudson, on the other hand, nailed it. ESPECIALLY during the episode with Ares when he was mortal...I'm too lazy to look up the name of the episode LOL...

    Oh boy...40 was a lot of work but thats because I did those collages LOL - 10 works though=)
    its just really hard for me to leave people I love out..I jut couldnt do it =/ lol

    ReplyDelete