Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 8 Performs!

Since I didnt blog the results last last week, I want to note that my bottom three predictions were spot on and that Pia was the one that was eliminated. Really, it's not much of a shocker to me...she was too pretty and too boring for women to vote for her. Sad, but true. Women havent been doing well on Idol in Years, no matter how good they've been. Tonight's theme was "Music From the Movies." It was a pretty good night overall.


Paul McDonald
Paul performed "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger. It's from the movie Risky Business. I love that song! I actually really enjoyed his performance - it was a good, fun choice for him to perform - even his whacky dance moves fit in well tonight. He was actually great tonight. Steven loves his "crazy, wild abandon." Jennifer thinks each of his performances are more polished than the last. Randy also loved him and also loved his outfit, saying it was a throw back to Porter Wagoner.  Not sure why Randy picked tonight to make the connection, he's been dressing the same every week! lol!

Lauren Alaina
Lauren performed "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus from the Hannah Montana movie.  Jimmy, the main mentor guy, called Miley out for not being a good singer and said that once Lauren is finished performing, nobody better think Miley's version is better or Lauren is going to be in trouble lol! It's true - Lauren is a million times better than Miley and Lauren owned the song tonight. Not my fave "Lauren" performance, but it was still an awesome vocal performance. Jennifer loves the "tear" in her voice. Randy said she performed the song like it was written for her. Steven said she moved him beyond tears.

Stefano Langone
Stefano performed "End of the Road" by Boyz II Men from the movie Boomerang.  Not familiar with the song - I thought it was a little boring, but I think Stefano redeemed himself from his last two performance. Stefano should have been around in the 90's - he would have been a perfect fit for a boy band back then. Overall, good performance. Randy said he "slayed" the song - calling it his best vocal yet. Steven said it was just the "beginning of the road" for him.

Scotty McCreery
Scotty performed "I Cross My Heart" by George Strait from the movie Pure Country. One of the prettiest songs ever recorded by King George :-) He's no George, but Scotty melted my heart with his performance tonight! Absolutely beautiful vocal performance by him. I really want him to win! Btw, it was probably one of the best country performance I've ever watched on Idol. Steven loved him. Jennifer exclaimed "Wow" and  thought it was really good. Randy said "a star is born" and then told him he was ginormous fan.

Casey Abrams
Casey performed "Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole from the movie The Boy with Green Hair. This was his original choice, then changed it to "In The Air Tonight" before going back to "Nature Boy." I personally wish he would have went with the Phil Collins song. I have never heard of his song choice and I found his performance very bizarre. Atleast he sounded good. The judges gave him a standing ovation - I think Steven shouted Encore - I could be wrong - it might have been an audience member lol!  Jennifer praised him and compared him to Norah Jones. Randy told him that there's never been anybody like him before on Idol and thought his performance was brilliant. He also added "The world cannot live by pop stars alone." Steven said he has the truest sense of an artist.

Haley Reinhart
Haley performed "Call Me" by Blondie from the movie American Gigolo. She was super sexy on stage tonight! I enjoyed the performance even though I'm not a big fan of the song. I guess thats why I thought it was just about as good as the original. Randy didnt really like it. He told her it sounded "karaoke" and didnt think it showcased her voice. Steven kinda agreed, but thought she sounded great anyway. Jennifer agreed with Randy, but doesnt want her (or any girl) going home tomorrow. (There's only two left!)

Jacob Lusk
Jacob performed "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel from the movie The Pursuit of Happyness. *Sigh* Why is Jacob still there? Awesome gospel singer, yes, but boring as hell idol contestant and after his comment last week about voters not being able to look at themselves in the mirror - I just dont really like him much.  Good vocal performance. Steven exclaimed "Holy shit dizzles" lol! Obviously, he loved him. Jennifer said that he's an amazing vocalist. Randy praised him too and said the performance was perfect harmony.

James Durbin
 
James performed "Heavy Metal" by Sammy Hagar from the movie of the same name. James sassed his mentors lol! (Jimmy and will.i.am.) They criticized his song choice, rather Jimmy did. I applaud James for sticking to his guns and taking a chance by performing a heavy metal song on idol. Not my fave performance (or vocal) of the night, but it was still good and entertaining. It was Rocking. Jennifer said it felt "Real." Randy said it was like being at a "James Durbin" concert and told him that he could see him performing at next years Oz Fest. Steven called it Outstanding. 

My favorite performance of the night was Scotty. I also enjoyed Lauren and Paul. The bottom three is hard to call. I'm thinking maybe Stefano, Haley, and Jacob with Jacob leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment