Wednesday, March 9, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 13 Performs!

I had to live stream Idol tonight from my laptop because I know longer have the Fox channel, but it was totally worth it! I really enjoyed tonight's episode, though I was a bit disappointed in a couple of the contestants. Tonight's theme basically consisted of the contestants choosing songs by their idols.

Lauren Alaina
 
Lauren performed "Any Man of Mine" by Shania Twain and totally won me over when she said Shania was her Idol! =) Although it is totally difficult for me to judge contestants when they choose her songs, because I'm a HUGE Shania fan and everybody pales in comparison to her (in my opinion-when it comes to her songs). I thought she did pretty good though! I thought it was kinda shaky in parts, but I enjoyed her version of the song more than Siobhan's performance last year. Steven thought she needed to be a bit more kick ass with the song and Jennifer also felt she needed to kick it into high gear. I do agree with them both.

Casey Abrams
 
Casey performed "With a Little Help from My Friends"- the Joe Cocker version. Casey actually really does have a good voice! I was like "Whoa" tonight. I thought it was the perfect song choice for him and he nailed it vocally. Although, he did have some weird facial expressions going on and I kinda find it hard to like him for some reason. *Shrugs* Jennifer loved his performance and she said she felt like she was watching somebody important on stage because he blew her away. Randy thought his performance was unbelievable. Steven said that Casey is a "Rainbow of talent."

Ashton Jones
 
Ashton performed "When You Tell Me You Love Me" by Diana Ross. Like I've said before, I think Ashton has a good voice, but it's really not anything special. And for some reason I just cant take her serious when she performs, because I feel that's all she does on stage: Performs. Like Broadway or something. I cant really explain it so I hope ya'll get what I mean. Randy liked it, but he thinks there's a lot more in her. Steven agreed. Jennifer wants to see her choose songs everybody can sing along to.

Paul McDonald
 
Paul performed "Come Pick Me Up" by Ryan Adams. His voice is so odd, but not in a bad way. I kinda liked his performance, didnt necessarily like the song choice, but liked the way he sung it. Steven likes the character and rasp in his voice, but said he was a lil pitchy. Jennifer thinks he's unique and knows how to make the crowd move. Randy loves who Paul is and loves him for the show (his words). I think he's a lot more likable than Casey for sure.

Pia Toscano
 
Pia performed "All By Myself" by Celine Dion. For the record that is NOT Celine's song, she just covered it. That song is from the 70's and the original singer sings it a lot better than Celine. Also for the record, I'm not a Celine fan, I think she's highly overrated, but whatever, back to Pia. I thought Pia sounded really good, but I didnt think she was as good as last week, though the judges disagree. Jennifer was basically speechless after her performance and thought she topped last week's performance. Randy thought she hit all the notes dead on and Steven thought she sounded beautiful. I agree with all of them on her vocal ability. I heard different aspects of her voice tonight that I've never noticed before.

James Durbin 
 
James performed "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney. Loved his song choice and I thought it was a really good performance. Not much more I can say, the dude can sang. Randy told him that he's one of his faves this year and Steven & Jennifer agreed, while giving him more praise.

Haley Reinhart
 
Haley performed "Blue" by LeAnn Rimes. Country music! Love that song! (Back when LeAnn was actually good) - I dont think she performed it nearly as well as LeAnn. Haley just didnt have that special "twang" in her voice when it came to hitting the Blue note, but she did really good on the rest of the song. She does have a country twang to her voice, mixed with a little jazzy feel, that I really like. Steven thought she did a great job and sounded beautiful (his fave word!). Jennifer thinks she can do some really unique stuff with her voice that the other girls there cant do. Randy didnt enjoy it as much as the others, saying he thought it was a little boring.

Jacob Lusk
 
Jacob performed "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly. (Space Jam mention FTW! during his video) -Good  voice, but the performance felt like a "church performance." I wasnt feeling it and I didnt like his high note. Steven thought he performed with pure passion and Jennifer & Randy both praised his talent. I'm just not buying his greatness.

Thia Megia
 
Thia performed "Smile" - the Michael Jackson version. I really like the song, but I didnt think it was the right choice of song for her tonight. It started out okay, and then got really weird with the beat change. Her voice sounded good, but overall, it was a boring performance. She needs to do something different than ballads. Randy loved the intro, but thought she got a little pitchy and he didnt like the jazz feel. Steven agreed with Randy. Jennifer thinks she sings like an angel though.

Stefano Langone
 
Stefano performed "Lately" by Stevie Wonder. For some reason I started thinking about boy bands and the Nickelodeon channel during his performance. That cant be a good thing...Nice voice, but he's just not in the same league as the other guys. Steven thought he "pulled it off" beautiful. He had Jennifer dancing and she thought he sounded great. Randy thinks Stevie would be proud. Okay....

Karen Rodriguez
 
Karen performed "I Could Fall in Love" by Selena. Loved her choice of song! Something different and unexpected! Love J.lo or not, I thought she did a beautiful job portraying Selena. I also think Jennifer did a better job with the song than Karen, but I really enjoyed Karen's performance. She definitely wasnt the best of the night and it definitely wasnt her best performance.  Jennifer thought she felt uncomfortable with some of the notes, but hopes she makes it through cause she feels like Karen is one of the stronger girls. Randy and Steven both felt it was sleepy and lacking. I agree with the lacking part.

Scotty McCreery
 
Scotty performed "The River" by Garth Brooks. Great song choice! I love me some Garth! Well hell, what can I say? I loved it! Win idol or dont win Idol, Scotty is going to have a country music career. I loved that I actually heard "Scotty" tonight, and not Josh Turner, who he sounds a lot like. Scotty is definitely his own person and  has his own voice and he showed it tonight. Randy said its exactly where he belongs (country music) and that he could put out an album now. Steven thought he did Garth proud and Jennifer thought he came into his own as a performed- Agreed!!

Niama Adedapo
 
Niama performed "Umbrella" by Rihanna. Another song I like and I love Rihanna. I gotta say that I didnt like the judges picking her as one of their wildcards after her boring performance last week, but I really enjoyed her performance tonight! That is until she put that funky ass reggae breakdown into it- but overall she was good and I liked the added effects in the background. Steven thought she was a little pitchy, but crazy good and brought flavor. Jennifer thinks she has fire, but needs to work on her control while performing. Randy agreed with Jennifer, but he loved the reggae and wanted more of it- No Thank You Randy!

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. I was disappointed in both Karen and Thia tonight. I think they're both better than that, especially Karen. If Thia keeps doing ballads I'm gonna get bored with her fast. I saw an improvement with Niame, and I'm still on the fence with Lauren. 

My faves of the night were Scotty, Pia, and Casey.

I'm still unimpressed with Ashton and Jacob.

I guess they are still doing bottom three so here is the ones I think will be bottom three: Ashton, Lauren, Thia. 

The bottom three should be: Ashton, Stefano, and Jacob.

Ashton should go home.

Your Thoughts?!

5 comments:

  1. As you already know James is my fave and he did not disappoint tonight. I loved that he toned it down just a bit to fit the song. Which gave us an opportunity to hear more of his talent.

    I love Joe Cocker so hearing Casey sing him was great. He did Joe proud. Oh and those weird facial expressions were a hat tip to Joe who can make the weirdest faces you ahve ever seen while singing. Just youtube him and you'll see.

    I'll skip tp Pia. I liked her performance tonight BUT she is so generic. She has a good voice, yes, but I feel she is forgettable. She shows no personality of her own when she sings. It's like she is a Miss USA contestant answering one of those all important "What would you do to help save the world?" "I'd feed all the hungry children and make war illegal." BORING.

    I like Haley and her version of Blue grew on me as she sung it. I liked hte little twist she gave it.

    Scotty, yep I'd buy his album. =)

    Naima, I liked her song unitl the completely messed up and unconnected rap/reggae switch up. Then I zoned out. yuck.

    My bottom 3, Jacob (boring and old sounding), Ashton (wild card my ass) and Naima.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you already know James is my fave and he did not disappoint tonight. I loved that he toned it down just a bit to fit the song. Which gave us an opportunity to hear more of his talent.

    I love Joe Cocker so hearing Casey sing him was great. He did Joe proud. Oh and those weird facial expressions were a hat tip to Joe who can make the weirdest faces you ahve ever seen while singing. Just youtube him and you'll see.

    I'll skip tp Pia. I liked her performance tonight BUT she is so generic. She has a good voice, yes, but I feel she is forgettable. She shows no personality of her own when she sings. It's like she is a Miss USA contestant answering one of those all important "What would you do to help save the world?" "I'd feed all the hungry children and make war illegal." BORING.

    I like Haley and her version of Blue grew on me as she sung it. I liked hte little twist she gave it.

    Scotty, yep I'd buy his album. =)

    Naima, I liked her song unitl the completely messed up and unconnected rap/reggae switch up. Then I zoned out. yuck.

    My bottom 3, Jacob (boring and old sounding), Ashton (wild card my ass) and Naima.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m half asleep watching the whole thing. I’m too tired. Lol. So here is my half-conscious review:

    Lauren – It’s good not great.

    Casey – He’s good but scares me. Lol “I kinda find it hard to like him for some reason.” <--I totally agree.

    Ashton – Love the song, she did better than her performance last week but I'm not crazy about it.

    Paul - ?? I remember watching his performance but I just cant recall his voice or the song that he sang. This is the 2nd time I got nothing to say about this dude. Smh.

    Pia – Love the song. Celine sang this before? Haha. Had no idea. Love her voice, great song choice.

    James – Great vocal but very annoying.(imo)

    Haley – I like that LeAnn Song but I don’t like how she sang it. There is something innocent about that song and I don’t like Haley “sexy” version of it.

    Jacob – Im actually not bored by this performance and I like the high note.

    Thia – wasn’t her strongest performance. I really like her though but I just don’t get the Michael Jackson comparison. Michael is beyond awesome to me. I hate it when they try to change it up a bit, well it sucks. I like the slow part better, just like the judges.

    Stefano – I think I like his voice better tonight. Wasn’t that annoying. Lol

    Karen – I wasn’t feeling it. Good but not great. Some part sounded karaoke (I think Simon would’ve said that)

    Scotty – OMG! His baby picture is killing me! Haha. He looks exactly like baby Scotty. I think he’s more open in his performance, more comfy than last week but I don’t think the vocal is that strong.

    Naima – Thank God shes not wearing a dress. I don’t like her outfit but at least its better!!! I applaud her for being unique with her performance, it was different but I gotta say that it wasn’t great vocally. Its very messy and all over the place and I too like Randy, like the Reggae part, not as much as Randy though. Would be annoying if Naima would add reggae to her performance everytime. lol

    It wasn’t fair to predict bottom three since I’m closing my eyes most of the time. Lol. Maybe Haley will be in the bottom 3. Maybe…But I’m not impressed with Ashton and I do want Naima out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm liking James more and more each week. At first I was turned off by the Adam Lambert comparisons, but I think James as his on uniqueness.

    I must confess that I dont really know Joe Cocker, but Casey did an awesome job...I think he'll def. be in the top three.

    Pia does come across as a little pageant like...I think both her and Thia needs to rock out a song other than a ballad.

    Haley is another one thats growing on me each week...I hope she makes it tonight.

    Nobody seems to like Ashton much, I cant believe the judges picked her lol

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was watching on the laptop w/ my iPod ear buds (or whatever they're called)...talk about uncomfortable! I think I'm gonna watch on the PC next time lol

    I really want to like Lauren, but I still havent been able to hear her voice much..she picks songs that doesnt show me what she's got.

    Wonder what it is about Casey that rubs us the wrong way.....

    Paul is sorta forgetful, even though I like him..

    Ooh, I love what you said about "Blue." I've never heard it described as innocent before, but you're totally right, it is. I thought Haley did a good job though, but the Blue notes arent suited for her voice.

    I dont get the Michael Jackson comparison either with Thia. Randy compared her to a young MJ, so I'm guessing he meant when he was in the Jackson 5...but I still dont hear it either way *shrugs*

    Karen let me down =(

    LOL I just didnt like the reggae...it totally through me, but maybe I would like it on another song...

    I'm not impressed with Ashton at all either.

    ReplyDelete