Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

And I’ve Had That Song In My Head All Day....

My friend Duchess tagged me a few days ago to do a blog about the 10 most meaningful songs to me. I thought about it and though about it, but I'm not sure if there is any songs that had a real impact on my life. I listen to songs just because I like them..every now and then one will come along that I can relate to or one will come along that will make me cry, but I've never heard one that was life changing. Then again, certain songs have shaped my love for music at certain points in my life. Maybe they didn't change my life, but maybe the did help shape who I was at the time and who I am now. So here is the ones that have had some meaning to me over the years.



1. Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus

This song came out in 1992, when I was only 5 years old. This was also the very first song that I really LOVED. I used to sing it constantly….and I also had the BIGGEST crush on Billy Ray Cyrus! I consider this song to be the start of my love for country music. Also, the tape that this song is on, was also the very first cassette tape I ever owned…Some Gave All…that tape was my life when I was little lol.



2. You Win My Love by Shania Twain

The first time I heard and saw the video, I became a Shania Twain fan INSTANTLY. The video was just so dang fun! I'm not sure how old I was…probably around 10...but I remember watching it on CMT all the time when I would stay with my Grandma. (That's back when CMT used to be a 24/7 music channel…damn MTV for buying it out and ruining it.) Shania has impacted my life in a lot of ways growing up…I've always looked up to her and admired her for all the things she has accomplished. She has always inspired me and so I guess You Win My Love indirectly impacted my life by making me a fan of hers.








3. Wannabe by Spice Girls

OMG the first time I head this is song, I became a Spice Girls fanatic! I had every damn thing of the Spice Girls you could think of and my bedroom walls was covered in posters and pictures, and I do mean COVERED. I wanted to be a Spice Girl when I grew up lmao…I remember every girl in my class loved them back then…we were all about the Girl Power lmao. Posh Spice was my favorite one…I just loved the way she dressed and never smiled in pics…I was such a dork. At least I was different though, everybody else wanted to be Baby or Ginger :-P



4. Good Ol' Boys (Theme from the Dukes of Hazzard) by Waylon Jennings

Its not so much the song, but the entire show that impacted my life. I remember when I first saw the Dukes of Hazzard on TNN (Now Spike tv…thanks again MTV) I became totally OBESSESED…I'm not sure if that word even covers it! I was and still am one of the biggest Dukes fans you will ever come across. Anyways, about the song….The song made me fall in love with Waylon Jennings's music…he was also the balladeer for the show. It was around the time I discovered the Dukes of Hazzard and Waylon Jennings, that I started loving country music again. I had basically stopped listening to it for a while during the Spice Girls craze, but after discovering my love for country all over again, that's when I became a die hard fan of country music and have been ever since. Waylon Jennings also became one of my favorite singers and I really wanted to meet him, but I never got the chance. I cried my eyes out the day he died.




5. The Woman in Me album by Shania Twain

My favorite album of all time. I have to include the entire album because it has gotten me through so much. When I was young, I couldn't go anywhere without taking it with me. When I used to come down to Mobile to stay with my cousin, I would have to listen to it at night to help me fall asleep because I would be freaking out from being so far away from home. Whenever I was upset over something, I would take out that cd and listen to it. It would be the only album that would cheer me up. I love every single song on there and I don't think there will ever be an album released that I will love as much as that one.



6. Last Chance For a Thousand Years album by Dwight Yoakam

Another cd that I have to include is Dwight Yoakam's greatest hits from the 90s album. It's my 2nd favorite cd of all time. I would also bring it everywhere I went. Dwight Yoakam has always been one of my favorite singers, but after really listening to the songs on Last Chance for a Thousand Years and watching all his videos, he became my second favorite artist of all time, next to Shania. It was actually Dwight that inspired me to want to learn how to play the guitar and write songs. Al though I never did really get the hang of it =/ The only song I really ever did learn to somewhat play was one his…It Only Hurts When I Cry. And I still own my guitar…maybe one day I'll take it up again.



7. How Do You Like Me Now by Toby Keith

Ok so this song didn't impact me in and way really, but I remember when I first saw the video on CMT I thought…HELL YEAH! That's going to be me one day….because I totally wasn't popular in school at all and that kinda motivates me to one day be able to go back there and say…look here bitches, how do you like me now?!








8. Teardrops on My Guitar by: Taylor Swift

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I was totally stunned when I first heard Teardrops on My Guitar. Listening to this song is like listening to the story of exactly how I felt in school. It's almost like she's singing about me. I can relate to every single verse. Even the name of the boy is the same. Every time I listen to the song or watch the video, I can't help thinking about how much I used to "love" Drew and how hurt I was that he never liked me back. The only difference is that if I wrote it, it would have been called Teardrops on My Pillow. Although hindsight is 20/20, and I must say I'm so happy we never did date. But this song is definitely the most biographical to my school life.








9. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd

My all time favorite song. It really doesn't have any significant meaning to me, but I love the lyrics. From the first line…"If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me"….I think we all have thought that from time to time. Whether its about dying or walking away from a relationship…will you remember me? Have I done anything with my life that's worth remembering when I'm gone? I just love it…and you can jam like hell to it…especially when your drunk off your ass from drinking too much Budweiser and Smirnoff lmao!



10. Redneck Woman by Gretchen Wilson

LOL..Ok so this one I just totally love because, well dammit, its so me and I don't give a rip what ya'll think because I'm a redneck and proud of it :-P









Well there ya'll have it. Aside from Wannabe, these are some of my fave songs. They're not my all time favorites, except for Free Bird, but they have all been songs that I really, really loved during a certain time or have shaped my love for music in general.

I know I havent blogged in a while, so thank
Duchess for getting me out of my blogging slump. I'm not going to tag anybody, but feel free to tag yourself!

Ps: I would have used youtube videos, but the damn site wasnt cooperating with me :(

No comments:

Post a Comment